Monday 1 December 2008

ill do this properly soon but

So, 2008, interesting year you were. More about gigs and festivals than actual records compared to your peers (2007) but you did give us Bon Iver & Fleet Foxes, let alone allowing Fucked Up and TV on the Radio to release hype busting records, and a return to form for British Sea Power! The evidence of course was that, this list was much, much, much easier to compile than last year.

1.Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago















As is always the way with your favourite bands, I first listened to this record the same week that Bon Iver did his UK tour in September. Oh what a fool I had been to ignore his obvious charms earlier, or I could have another contender (I can only imagine, judging from youtube) for live show of the year. Regardless, the point is just as the weather started turning cold, I got listening to this record and, just wow. Every song on this is gold and it is the only record this year to do so. Then I bought it on vinyl and it became official: This is my favourite record of the year. The Long Player format concreted everything that is amazing about this record; a soulful, charming voice, beautiful production and atmosphere that literally sounds like a peaceful snow covered land, and quite simply, stunning songs. Expect this to top many people's lists.



2.Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes/Sun Giant EP















For most of the year however, I was sure it was this that would be top. This isn't to say it was far off Bon Iver; it is certainly a far more challenging record, but it was pipped to the post on approachability, of which Bon Iver's effort has by the bucket full. That isn't to say Fleet Foxes didn't rock the world when they exploded onto the scene, and its easy to see why. This is a fantastically upbeat and summery record (polar opposite to Bon Iver) which both reminds the listener of some of our best past treasures, as well as clearly pushing things forward. I actually in some cases prefer the Sun Giant EP (which is of the same recording session) because it has amazing stand out tracks and takes, a lot less energy to listen to. But really, their entire output this year matches up and is simply divine. I'll be interested to see how other people vote between Bon Iver and this.



3.Fucked Up - The Chemistry of Common Life/The Year of the Pig EP














The Other main battleground in my list other than the top 2 was, much like the premier league, number 3 and 4. In the end though, no matter how Objective I tried to be, Fucked Up had to be third. They just had to. They're my favourite band in the world right now and although this is by no means their best a record; still a very enjoyable and solid one that continues to push things, show an appreciation for Bands like Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine alongside Bloc Party and do things in very much their own way. Undeniably easier to get into than 'Hidden World' (i.e.; the songs are shorter) but no less challenging.



4.TV on the Radio - Dear Science














TV on the Radio are fucking great aren't they? I mean really, really great. There's something really pleasing about this band and everything they do, and this year, they beat the hype that surrounded them and released what I would say is, their best record yet. Some of even dared to compare it to 'OK Computer' in its opaque lyrics and context (a huge superpower of a country going through Change) but it does have some fantastic tunes and some really clever themes, both musically and lyrically running through it, and is, simply, a triumph.


5.British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?














Shit, a British band made the top 5! Yeah, this year I am happy to announce the first of two really excellent British albums to make the list, and this was probably my first really good album of the year. Up until this Sea Power were relatively hidden from me, which perhaps was a help whereas for others was a hindrance. All I know is, this record has some of the best songs and dare I say it "anthems" of the year just through the combination of atmosphere and general feel-good factor.

6.Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst














I never really got Bright Eyes, i'm not gonna lie. But when I heard Conor here was playing an otherwise pretty shockingly bad Reading Festival line-up, I felt I could do much, much worse. Both I and a good friend of mine are happy to report then that this, was indeed a turning point. Conor simply stole the weekend up until that point with one of the most confident and heart-renderingly charming performances I had ever seen, as he and his newly collected 'Mystic River Valley Band' ripped through songs off this record. From there on, this album was a new love.

7.Maps & Atlases - You, Me & The Mountain


















I'm terrible with not following up bands from the past who made an impression on me. For some reason at first (I guess becuase it had been a while) I was not at all bothered that Maps & Atlases (who two years earlier caused a small revolution for me with their Trees, Houses, Swallows record) had a new EP out. I suppose then it is out of good fortune that they were one of the first bands I got to see after re-locating to Glasgow for University, because they reminded me quite harsly that I would be an idiot to let this one go. Simply put, this was just as charming and an even more mature take on their already fantastic niche sound that they had already laid out for themselves, and this cemented their place as a band to take seriously.

8.No Age - Nouns














No Age were a bit of a slow burner for me. At first I was worried about all the hype, then systematically didn't get the hype, then did. A lot of credit has been paid for their work to reinstitate a music scene in their native Los Angeles and I think any situation where a band tirelessly work to get people interested in music again is definitely due its credit. I had pretty much always had the song 'Eraser' on the go but couldn't see much past it, but when it finally did click, it became somewhat of my album of the summer, and a great effort it was too.

9.Rolo Tomassi - Hysterics














Another band who deserves a lot of credit for triumph over adversity is this lot. Tomassi have had to deal with hecklers, their own reputation and worst of all the british music media, but have come out of it looking more mature and ready than ever, armed with this fantastic record where the once tongue-in-cheek game boy sampling band became a very real, very dark prospect.

10.Earth - The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull














And Finally, an Earth record. Nearing their twentieth year as a band (or at least, as Dylan Carson under this name) it would be an understatement to say this band have been through a lot. And yet, just from their simple brand of droney, minimalistic music they are still churning out fantastic records each coming from different reference points. In this one's case, its country and gospel music, and it is both fucking heavy as it is eerie and, strangely peaceful. When this record came out, spring was just starting and the sun was starting to get longer, this album it seemed was a perfect accompaniment to watch the world waste away.

No comments: