Tuesday 25 December 2007

2007 - top 21 songs.

1.Explosions in the Sky - The Birth and Death of the Day
This song's parent album may have struggled to make an impression with some, and had varying levels of success according to others, BUT, I'm not going to forget the moment I first heard this song. To be honest, that was in December 2006; I couldn't wait any longer. But coupled with beautiful artwork and an enjoyable if troubled record (part of the problem was that this was it's opening track, I mean, how do you follow THAT up?) this song by far made the biggest impact on me. It hit home when I first got it on my ipod, went for a jog, and felt utter euphoria at what I was listening to.

2.LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
However, if there was a song to sum up the year, this would probably be it. Not for me as such, but just for everything. Whereas that explosions (literally) track is completely over the top, this, managed to sum up and pinpoint basically everything that was going on in 2007 without even really trying. A hugely heartfelt and moving song, but also with the capacity to dance or rock out; that's pretty impressive. A fellow blogger said last week that this song will become/is this generation's anthem to match 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'. Time will tell about wether it really had that much impact, but without the commercial backing I'm a doubter. Still, they had a very good point.

3.The National - Fake Empire
Really, I could of picked any song off this record. This wins however because it was there first. It was with this song that I began my love of this band and it went on to be my "most listened to of the year" according to Last FM. and why not? everything about it is perfect, the piano's the vocals, the lyrics, the brass, the anti-climatic end. A truly wonderful opener to a great, great album.

4.Fucked Up - Year of the Pig (Link is to 'Crusades')
I'm not gonna lie, this isn't my favourite Fucked Up song by a long way. But, it is the only major single from 2007, and, it is a pretty good summarisation of what makes this band so mind-bogglingly amazing. 18 minutes, hardcore punk, meets psychedelia, meets post rock, with bongos, and keys, and, like everything by this band, has amazing production and vocals. One word; EPIC.

5.Interpol - Pioneer to the Falls
Similar to explosions, this is a HUGE, dazzling opener to an otherwise slightly inconsistent album. Also similar to explosions, this is as genuinely heartfelt and honest the 'pol got this year; if a little over the top. But hey, dramatics can made for really enjoyable listening, and the sing a-longs that went along with this tour for 'And you know I triiied, I flyyyy, straight into your heart" with all the yearning in Paul Banks voice; is something that can rival the arcade fire live experience no problem.

6.Battles - Atlas
Every publication every has already written everything there is to say about this song. So I'll just say how I feel, this song is completely made by it's second half when it breaks/strips down, then builds up, and up, and up, and up, until it literally reaches melting point and explodes with insanely tight tension, all thanks to a one John Stainer, beating a way on skins.

7.Les Savy Fav - The Equestrian
This song ROCKS. there's no other way of describing it. It is punk rock, rock n roll and indie rock rolled into one (try saying that after a few of yr mulled wines) with a fantastic riff to kick it off, driving rhythm section and of course, Tim Harrington proving he is still very much the king.

8.Los Campesinos! - You! Me! Dancing!
This song (along with Justice) basically was my summer. It is completely MASSIVE and a pop song, what more can you want?

9.Okkervil River - Our Life is Not a Movie or Maybe
There's something very enchanting and charming about this band, (and Will Sheff particuarly) and this song embodies that perfectly.

10.Animal Collective - Fireworks
The last song i'm gonna write about, this is an utterly gorgeous song, and has pretty much been my song of the winter. Animal Collective take their highly successful and very innovative style of making music, and throw some wonderfully heartfelt melodies at it. It is an amazing performance from all involved and a truly beautiful song.

11.The Arcade Fire - (Antichrist Television Blues)
12.Justice - D.A.N.C.E
13.Feist - 1234
14.Bloc Party - I Still Remember
15.M.I.A - Paper Planes
16.St. Vincent - Now, Now
17.Pig Destroyer - Loathsome
18.El-P - Smithereens
19.Deerhunter - Cryptograms
20.The Dillinger Escape Plan - Milk Lizard
21.I Was a Cub Scout - Our Smallest Adventures


No comments: