Saturday 22 December 2007

top 10 albums of 2007.

So this is it, the top 10 albums of 2007!

1.The National - Boxer


This band (along with Fucked Up) completely shook me up and made my 2007. I hadn't even heard of this band before this, their 4th album, but I remember the first time I saw the album artwork that there was a certain style to it I found really attractive. And my gosh, did they follow it up. The simple fact is, this album is just packed full of amazing songs, and everything about them is romantic, stylish and heartfelt. After an incredible Latitude Festival performance, this band went on to make my year with catchy, beautifully produced songs that just work. From the awe-inspiring opener of 'Fake Empire' to the creepy post-punk of 'Brainy' and the all out poppyness of 'Apartment Story' this album has kept me singing and loving all year. Truly fantastic piece of work.
The National - Fake Empire

2.Battles - Mirrored


Battles get their position just for being the biggest and most original innovators of the year. Bringing together the sounds of punk, jazz and dance music, playing a myriad of various instruments (sometimes more than one at the same time) and just creating a fantastic listening experience that is fun to play, dance to, or just listen while also being challenging and exciting. The moments that make this album special are those in say, 'Atlas' or 'Tonto' where the song builds up, breaks down and builds up again, which, thank's to Helmet's John Stanier's incredibly tight, poly-rhythmic beats, create an amazing but enjoyable tension to their sound.
Battles - Atlas

3.The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

With the blogging revolution well into its stride in 2007, it is quite plausible that there is a lot of tripe you have to get through to find some genuinely talented or passionate writing. Particularly at this time of year, where everyone, like yours truly, is making a list. I recently read someone in regards to Panda Bear, in an attempt to dismiss Beach Boys comparisons, saying that "Brian Wilson wishes he made something as original and important as Panda Bear" ... yeah, other than pretty much creating pop music and indie in it's earliest form... Another guy went on about how Neon Bible could never beat Funeral. For a while, when this record first came out, I agreed with him. I wasn't hearing the massive passionate grandeur of 'Funeral' and thus I dismissed this record. Then I saw it live. Suddenly, it all made sense. I realised I was naive to be listening out for another Funeral, when this (arguably the only complete album of the whole list) is a huge journey through 12 songs commenting on, well, pretty much everything and the whole world according to Win Butler. The reason this beats Funeral, is purely because, its bigger, better and more complete. Although about 6/7 songs off 'Funeral' are still among my favourite of all time, that album, is just songs and that's it. In this record, it's very difficult to take a song out of context because each song bleeds into the next seamlessly, and that's where this album gets its magic.
The Arcade Fire - (Antichrist Television Blues)

4.Les Savy Fav - Let's Stay Friends

It's been quite a year for Les Savy Fav. In the years that passed since 'Inches' they slowly built a reputation that got a lot more people listening and interested then when they were originally around. I'm not gonna lie, I was one of those people. So there was a wierd amount of pressure settling on this record, because LSF had both their hugely loyal original fanbase and a whole new one to please. In the end, the new fans got something really exciting and approachable and the old hardcore twitched for a bit, then got over it, and enjoyed it too. These are, simply put, just brilliantly written and performed songs that really give off a feel for the amazing live act they are renowned for.
Les Savy Fav - The Equestrian

5.LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

There's not much I have to say about this record. It's been done. This has had every publication in the land (both sides of the atlantic) falling over themselves, and quite rightly too. James Murphy grew up here and proved himself with heart and soul, and most noticeable, the jaw-dropping song of the year All My Friends.
LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends

6.Radiohead - In Rainbows

Similar to the above, there's not much I have to say because this was, THE most talked about album of the year. Radiohead went ahead and made their most instant and approachable record for nearly a decade, still proving why they are now "as much listened to as The Beatles".
Radiohead - Nude

7.Interpol - Our Love to Admire

Like Arcade Fire (and Explosions in the Sky), this was under huge pressure not to drop out of the list entirely and be a huge dissapointment. When this first came out, I didn't see why I should care. The National had just released an absolutely awe-inspiring record that took what I loved about Interpol originally and kept it fresh and exciting. But, with time, the songs off this record slowly but surely weeded their way into my skull (much like Antics did, which I now consider an all time favourite). I still believe it's my favourite band's weakest effort, there are a good 3 or 4 tracks of filler here, but Interpol subtly prove again why they are so hugely popular in an alternative context once again.
Interpol - Pioneer to the Falls

8.Deerhunter - Cryptograms

This took a while to really make an impact, but when I saw this band live in Glasgow, I totally got it. A wonderful combination of psychedelic pop rock and punk that make this dreamy, poppy and at times frightening record a real triumph. Here's hoping they can follow it up next year.
Deerhunter - Cryptograms

9.Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam

Animal Collective goes POP! A wonderful record that saw the hugely popular but hugely challenging Animal Collective finally incorporate pop melodies into their already enchanting and highly original sound and way of writing. Just listen to 'Peacebone' or the utterly beautiful 'Fireworks' for proof.
Animal Collective - Fireworks

10.Okkervil River - The Stage Names

Proving it's never too late to make it into an end of year list, it took a long, long time for me to get this. The first couple times I heard it, I thought it as 'Our Life is not a Movie or maybe' plus eight. Then a couple weeks ago I got home from a stressful night's work, put this on, and totally got it. It's been said before and I'm sure it'll be said again, but Will Sheff is an incredible talent as a singer, lyricist and songwriter. Fantastic record.
Okkervil River - Our Life is not a Movie or maybe

if any of these don't work just let me know!

No comments: